October Round Up

Books
  1. Thomas Mann, Der Tod in Venedig
  2. Boris Pasternak, trans. Max Hayward and Manya Harari, Doctor Zhivago
  3. Richard H. Hoppin, Medieval Music
Keeping up a steady reading regimen has become more difficult now that I'm not riding the bus to and from work everyday. But I'm almost done with Doctor Zhivago. Hoppin's Medieval Music is more for notes in case I ever decide to go back to graduate school. It's nice, though, to be able to spend time with books I should have read more closely for class.

Clothes
October 2013 Purchases
  1. Bonfire Stories Tunic in Red, $39.99
  2. American Eagle Straight Jeans in Light Gray, $23.96
It was a light shopping month because I'm really trying to repurpose things I already own. But I needed new jeans, and the red plaid reminds me so much of camping and cold and the woods.


Sound, Stage, and Seminar

  1. Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin, Met Opera Broadcast
  2. Dmitri Shostakovich's The Nose, Met Opera Broadcast
I can't get over how beautifully staged this production was. Mariuz Kwiecien and Anna Netrebko were perfect as Eugene and Tatiana. And the decision to stage the final duet in the snow was fantastic. Really, I don't know why I waited so long to discover Tchaikovsky's stage works, but I'm also glad this was my introduction. Just gorgeous.

The Nose was clever and super creative. I thought the projections and uses of stage space were smart ways to pack lots of story into a relatively short opera. I do wish there had been more of the man in the nose costume, though.

I'm accepting the fact that the Met Broadcast will take all my money this season. Yep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a-thread Picks

2012 Review of Literature, Part 1

Not even hindsight is 20/20 right now.